Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Peplum Petals

This top was directly inspired by this top.  As soon as I saw it I knew I needed to make it.  And make it I did...sort of.


An's work is amazing - and I'm sure much more professionally finished than mine!  The outer fabric is from a vintage sheet - sooo soft (and no wrinkles!).  Perfect spring fabric.  I lined the bodice and sleeves with some pink polka dotted fabric I also had on hand.



My two favorite parts are the blue buttons, rescued from an old shirt (I'm such a sucker for a good row of buttons!)...


and how there is one pink flower at the seam on the front that matches up so well  you'd think I'd planned it.  I didn't - but I'm tickled about it nonetheless.


It's just a basic bodice that I drafted from a t-shirt for another project, then modified slightly for this top - and it fits her perfectly...well, now it does.

 
It was my first attempt at a flutter sleeve, and I didn't do enough research - a little too much winging this time.  Winging is actually an appropriate word because she looked like she was about to take flight the first time I put it on her, the sleeves were so poofy!  I pinched them in a little.  They are still a bit bigger than I would have planned on, but not so much that I'm going to make any more alterations.
 
 
I lined the sleeves with the pink dots, too.  I like how finished it looks.
 


 
 I'm so grateful to all the wonderful sewing blogs out there like Straight Grain that share their creations to inspire us - sometimes literally, sometimes just igniting a spark that lights a fire and gets us moving creatively.
 

 
 


My little Lisi Lou (and her wardrobe) thanks you, too.

******UPDATE******
An's going to be putting out a pattern for her version of this top!  yeah!!  With lots of variations, as is her generous way.  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment