Friday, August 2, 2013

Black Bird in Blue

Because of the baby quilt, I've been away from my sewing machine for a week - and away from my preferred type of sewing for even longer.  I started having dreams about fabric and patterns and sewing.

Yesterday I knew I had to do something about it.  I decided to try out this Black Bird Tunic tutorial from Shwin & Shwin that I stashed in my favorites pre-pinterest.   It was exactly what I needed!!  The tutorial was super clear, required just enough thought to clear the cobwebs from my brain, and produced a totally adorable garment.


The swirly blue fabric is actually a tablecloth.  The collar is lined with the same pink fabric used for the pocket and the four covered buttons.  The tutorial calls for one huge button, but I didn't have any big enough that worked for me.  


Brother was unavailable for modeling assistance this morning, so I didn't get any good full on front shots - but these secret sharing pictures give you an idea of the cuteness, for sure.


I used the free 2T pattern in the post.  My husband thinks it's a bit short to wear as a dress, but if you've read many of my previous posts you should be aware of my feelings on baby legs and toddler tushies.  I don't mind a peek at the diaper bum when her arms are raised.  And you can see it's a more modest length when she stands normally.  


Also, because of the length, and the roominess of the armholes she'll definitely get a lot of wear out of it.  I can see it with a t-shirt and skinny jeans when the weather gets cooler, and shorts as a true tunic next summer.  There are so many options for mixing this up, too - different pocket shapes/locations - different trim around the collar like ric-rac or maybe even some tiny pom-pom trim?  Can you see it?  I can.  I may have to make that come to life, too.


The only hiccup was at around 75% completion when I realized that I hadn't pre-washed the fabric.  Oops!  I thought about taking a chance and sending it through the wash with my fingers crossed - but I just love it too much to risk it.  Looks like it's hand washing for this one.  Totally worth it.

***Update***
I just noticed that all the fall patterns at Shwin & Shwin are 40% through Sunday!  (see the bottom of this post)  I see some Lovely Ritas in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment