Sunday, June 8, 2014

Scoop Back with Bias Tape

So I've got something to say...and be prepared...it's a pretty bold statement: I think this new dress may just be the absolute favorite thing I've made yet.

It's self drafted - modified from the pattern I used for Lisi Loo's Christmas and Easter dresses.  This is really the second one I made, but I just love it so much that it got bumped to the front of the "to blog" list.


The fabric is a blue mid-weight chambray - heavier than a shirting but lighter than home decor.  The stripes are bias tape top stitched, straight across the front, then angled up in the back.

The skirt is pleated.  Of course it is.  I use a super easy cheater method for pleating a skirt that is far less frustrating and slightly less time consuming than gathering.  It would never hold up to a tape measure, but I figure no  one's going to be chasing around my toddler with a tape measure so it works for me.  I'm sure I'm not the first inventor, but I did come to the process on my own.  If anyone's interested, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a tutorial - just let me know.


I have considered, time to time, trying my hand at PDF pattern design.  To say the amount of work entailed is daunting would be an understatement, but this dress...this dress makes me feel like I'm selfish if I keep it to myself.  A bit dramatic?  Absolutely!  ha!  But I'm hoping you can read through the drama to my point.  If any dress is going me make me take the plunge, this is it.  

Any interest?




3 comments:

  1. I am in love with this dress! Seriously fantastic. I'd love to know your pleating method :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY.MOLY. Check you out!! Now granted, upon completing a dress I almost always declare it is my favorite, but that's better than finishing it and it falling somewhere in the middle, right? But I agree that this is one of my favorites in your little lady's wardrobe. Bold and graphic and different and fun and summery. And pleated. :)

    Yes, tutorial, obviously.

    And, today I am attempting to cut Amos El sleeves for another summer Geranium. Look out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes! Very interested... I love the shape of this. The back is just the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete