Friday, July 25, 2014

KCW - Poppies and Denim

This is the week of pattern repetition, I guess.  The same summer tunic pattern we saw yesterday, and another pair of bubble pocket shorts with the same modifications I made last time.




The shorts were from an old pair of Daddy's jeans.  I'm usually a denim-only-for-long-pants kinda girl, but these were just so soft and broken in.  I was also drawn to the idea of the different pieces being cut from areas with different levels of fading and wear, although the end effect is much more subtle than I was hoping for.  They actually have kind of a chambray look from a distance, which isn't a bad thing.



The top is made exactly the same as the previous one, except that I ran out of 3/4 inch elastic (KCW problems, right?) and so made the facing a little wider, sewed a seam down the middle, and used two 1/2" pieces instead.  It worked out just fine.  I actually made this one before I had tried the first one on her - and didn't even realize it until I was photographing it (that's how excited I was about this pattern)!  If I had, I probably would have made the straps as well as the elastic just a tad longer.  Oh well, guess I will just have to make some more next Summer.  Darn it...not even a little bit.


The fabric came from my grandmother - it may have been a sheet at some point, but I'm not sure.  I have two pretty large pieces and I just love the colors and the large graphic flowers.   I intentionally used a lot of white space, though, so as not to overwhelm her itty bitty self.  No one needs their clothes wearing them, do they?

KCW's coming to a close by I'm hoping to get two more posts up - one with two more tees (see note regarding pattern repetition), and one previously started but finally getting finished scoop back dress with some kid art embellishment.  Wish me luck!

Linking up to KCW here.

2 comments:

  1. Great sewing! I love that top pattern--I'm adding it to my wish list!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's actually a free pattern - but only the one size. If that size doesn't work for you, though, the Hummingbird dress pattern is very similar. I haven't made it, but I've seen really cute versions popping up!

      Delete