Friday, October 3, 2014

Little Zippy Tops

The Little Zippy Top pattern, by See Kate Sew, was not one I had considered purchasing.  Then I started dressing the little lady for fall weather, and realized had a surprising lack of cardigan friendly tops, and cardigans are a big deal around here so that was a big problem.  At the same time this post popped up in my reader and it was a bit of a lightbulb moment for me.  Little Zippy tops have a GREAT silhouette for layering!  So I impulsively purchased the pattern, cut out two, and sewed them up all in one morning.

The first one was actually the second I  put together, but it's constructed more closely to the pattern instructions, so I'll start with it.  The fabric is a denim, I think.  I used it wrong side out so you can see two different shades of blue thread in it, like a chambray.  It's really pretty, but really hard to photograph.  A great neutral piece, though.  And how perfect is that shape?  I especially love the hem - it has just the slightest dip in the front and back.

And my instinct about the cardigan was right, too, wasn't it?  So cute.

I think I mis-marked my zipper opening because it's a little tight getting her arms in one at a time, but I think a two-arm-straight-over-the-head approach should work going forward.  Next time I will make sure the zipper opening is longer, though.  I have a bunch of these metal and olive (army?) green zippers that were part of a bundle I bought on Etsy a while back and I love them.  I want to zipper all the things!  

This next Little Zippy was made in Lisi Loo's fabric choice.  Again, a hard to photograph fabric.  It's a pretty loose weave, with a lot of easily-snagged loose threads on the wrong side, so I decided to try fully lining it.  It worked wonderfully!  I actually think I prefer it fully lined over the facings (although, to be fair, I am not a fan of facings in general).

Again, the zipper turned out a little short.  That's the problem with making multiples of something before even one has been tried on!  Not the first time I've made that mistake and likely not the last.  I just get SO EXCITED I can't wait.  Oh well.  The good news is: I used a longer zipper and intended on trimming it but haven't actually cut it yet so I'm going to attempt to lengthen my opening in a slightly unconventional and definitely nailbiting way.  Wish me luck.

You may notice the hem in the picture at the top of the post is totally wonky.  I was lazy.  I'm going to take it out and do it right next time I'm at my machine.  Promise.


These pictures were taken post-preschool but pre-lunch so we're a little rumpled, but you still get the idea.  Little Zippy + cardigan + skinny pants = perfect fall uniform.  HOLD ON - I just realized that that is MY fall uniform!  ha!  Of only my pieces were as cute as hers, though.

So there you are, two Little Zippy Tops.  Can't recommend this pattern enough and can't wait to make my next batch.  Then some more cardigans to go with, of course.  And a few more pairs of skinnies?  Dare I say I feel my sewing mojo returning?  Let's jump for joy!



The floral pants post is here and the red pants post is here.  
The white cardigan is an old Gap Kids thrifted sweater, and the blue cardigan was made pre-blog.  For reference: it wasn't cropped and the sleeves were full length when I made it for her.  Also, she had no hair or glasses.  She's like a whole new girl in her same old sweater.

2 comments:

  1. So cute! And I love the fully lined one! I too am so not a fan of facings :/ I have the grown up version of this pattern and now I want to try a lined version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that "whole new girl is same old sweater" line - kids will do that! After Jesse's post the other day on this pattern, I gave the zippy top another look as well - looks like she inspired a bunch of us! Good for you for taking the plunge and whipping some out! Love the zipper in the back, and good tip to perhaps make it a bit longer. I'm sure both of those will get a lot of use as great wardrobe staples. So happy that your sewing mojo has returned - may I recommend the Aster cardigan if you're looking for a pattern?

    ReplyDelete